Creating the perfect base and being able to defend your headquarters and resources in Star Wars: Commander is just as important as being able to successfully attacking other players: there is no reason to upgrade your resource generating buildings and fill up your vaults with resources coming from them and from attacks if you can’t protect them and other players steal them over, right? Well, in this article, we’re focusing on how to defend your base in Star Wars: Commander and how to protect your resources and Headquarters.
Usually, you will have to decide what exactly do you want to protect the most: the HQ itself (and lose as few battles as possible to keep your medal count high) or the resources (when you want to pile up for an important upgrade). The truth is that it’s pretty difficult to protect both, but there are still some general guidelines no matter what you choose to protect:
– Walls are the best source of defense and right now I am testing a strategy that involves using walls with holes in them. The AI is still pretty strange in Star Wars: Commander and I’ve noticed that troops tend to ignore small holes in your walls and instead try to take down the existing walls. This gives you a huge advantage at least until this is fixed, as you can basically double the number of walls that you have by adopting this strategy. It’s not one that is always working, but it’s worth trying out.
– Even if you don’t go for this strategy, walls are equally important and they should be used to protect what you need protected inside your base. Place a few or several towers behind walls, as well as the Headquarters or the Vaults – depending on what you need protected. The number of available walls in the game is really low compared to other games and you will rarely have enough to build multiple “rooms” or hold everything inside.
– Upgrade the walls constantly, even though it’s an extremely expensive process. Better walls simply mean more time spent by the attackers trying to take them down, so it’s your win in the end. Take it slow and upgrade your all the walls before moving to a new upgrade level.
– Use the right defensive buildings. Depending on the alliance you’re playing as, different strategies will work. It’s important in all cases to max out the number of turrets on your base and see which works better for your base. Simply watch the replays of the attacks that are made against you and see what type of troops are being used. In the case of Empire attacks, it’s usually more vehicles, so having Rocket Throwers and Turrets is better than having mortars, while in the case of Rebel attacks, it’s usually more infantry so Mortars work better, as well as some Rapid Fire Turrets to take out the hero Chewbacca faster.
– Use other bases as an example and copy them, even though this doesn’t sound just right. But if you’re having trouble beating a specific type of base layout, it might mean that other players will have trouble with them as well. So see what works for others and try to implement that into your own base.
– Join an active alliance that sends you troops constantly (but make sure you return the favor). Upgrade your Squad Center so that it holds as many troops as possible and you will enjoy the extra help that you will have in battles. Anything extra helps! Read our Squads guide for the game if you need help finding a good one!
– Use the Shield Generators to their maximum strength. Usually, I would suggest to cover Turrets instead of the HQ or Vaults, because most players will send in Turret-targeting troops with all attacks. So while they try to take down the shields, you have more chances of actually taking them out and winning the defensive battle.
Now let’s get to some specific tips on defending your Star Wars Commander base depending on your defense goal! Let’s start with some Headquarters-specific tips:
– If your main goal is to defend your Headquarters and give as few stars as possible to the enemy troops, you should make sure that the HQ building is behind walls, surrounded by turrets. Place decoy buildings outside the walls so that the attacking troops waste time taking them down. The longer you can delay the incoming troops from getting to your main building, the bigger the chances to get out of the battle with zero or maximum one star lost.
– Place one or two buildings in different corners of the base. Ideally, you should build your base in the upper part of the screen (without necessarily pushing it all the way to the top, in a corner), and then in the opposing corner, place a hard to reach building like the Droid Hut which is small and unnoticeable. This increases the chances of you getting away without three stars lost, as attackers will focus on the main base and they won’t have enough time to get to that lonely building.
If protecting your resources is your main priority, here is what to do:
– Remove the HQ building from behind the walls and place your vaults there. Place the HQ in an easy to attack area, so that you use it as bait for other players looking only for Medals. If they only take out your HQ, you enter protection automatically and save yourself from potential attacks for a while.
Do you have other suggestions regarding a perfect defense in Star Wars Commander? Let us know by commenting below!